Tuesday 14 February 2012

R.I.P. Jynx

My little brother broke the news to me today that my bunny died. Surprisingly, I've found myself more upset than I thought I would be. He was barely 3 years old. He was a dwarf lop-eared bunny and I had him from 8 weeks old. He was my baby! I got him when I was discharged from The Priory in April 2009. I asked for him and my parents agreed as I needed something therapeutic. I find animals very relaxing. He did me the world of good, motivated me to get up in the mornings as I had to feed him and clean him. I loved spending time with him. 

While I was living at home, Jynx was a house-rabbit and lived in my room in his cage and had free-rein for most of the day before going into his cage at bedtime. Whenever I was in hospital or wherever, my little brother or someone would take care of him. I loved Jynx as he always had time to snuggle with me and never judged me for what I did or who I was. When I was put in the children's home, he came along with me and stayed there. Near the end of my time there, he went back with my parents and my little brother as I was having a bad depressive episode. I didn't want to be separated from him but I had to make the decision that was best for him. If he'd stayed with me, he wouldn't have been looked after properly. I didn't want him to suffer.

He's been with my mother and little brother for just over a year. Whenever I've visited I've always found time to sit with Jynx. He never forgot who I was and always had time for a cuddle with me. It made me adore him even more. I always thought he'd forget me if I was ever away from him for more than a few days but that was never the case.

Today, my little brother told me he'd passed away in his sleep. They found him when my mother went out to feed him. I'm devastated. But why? I've only seen him on a few occasions in the last year. I thought the bond would've been weakened. It hasn't. Somehow it was stronger than when I was with him. Whether he felt the same, I have no idea. He's a bunny. Maybe he was just happy to be fed and given some quality time, no matter who the person was. I'd like to think that he had a bond with me too. I did have him from when he was a baby. Attachments grow more quickly and more strongly if you get a pet from a very young age. I got him as soon as he was able to be away from the pet store at 8 weeks. I had to wait a week or two before I could take him home but I was prepared to wait.

I miss you, Jynx. Another loss to add to my pile. That doesn't mean I won't miss you any less.

R.I.P. Jynx; 04/2009 - 02/2012.

Happy Valentines Day... :'(

<3 xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment