Tuesday 7 February 2012

Society Sucks

And from this point forward I will hopefully never touch a cigarette again. I have my new skycig. Go me! It's been an hour so far of giving up smoking. Not very long I know but we all have to start somewhere. Wish me luck. :)

Group was disastrous today. One of the patients got angry and walked out. Hopefully we'll see him again on Thursday. One of the main trigger points for the awkwardness in the group today was our opening exercise. We had to say something good about society. Now, in my opinion in regards to mental health, society is partly to blame for some of our difficulties. There is stigma attached to mental illness, the media doesn't portray it in a very good light and often there are stories about schizophrenics assaulting people or depressed people committing a murder-suicide with their families. Yes, people with mental illness can commit crimes but they don't commit crimes any more than the average person. If anything, people with mental illness are more likely to hurt themselves rather than other people. But hey, what newspaper is going to write that? It doesn't exactly make a good story does it? But that's fact. The topic of mental illness can make people feel uncomfortable. The health service isn't exactly excellent and the welfare of people, in general not just in regards to mental illness, isn't the main purpose of decisions that are made. Take the benefit cuts for example. Everyone who is entitled to them and needs them to get by is going to be effected, or has already been effected. Our society makes no sense and my view is that the country is going downhill. It has been since David Cameron took charge of the country, and since before that even.

I'm not saying that the prime minister is entirely to blame for society as it stands. He's not, totally. Getting back to the topic of mental illness, it's ignorance that takes control of people's behaviour towards the mentally ill, be it conscious or sub-conscious behaviour. Society has totally failed me in helping me accept my diagnosis. Society is partly to blame for it. There are other factors, of course. And I'm not saying that society is totally to blame for any consequence of it's actions. But it isn't exactly the best. No one is happy with their society. Look at the road tax people pay for their cars! That is supposed to go towards paying for the roads to be kept well-constructed. It gets paid and then divided into the various county councils. Do they use it to pay to repair the roads? Barely. In the end it's all about making money. I think it's time society needs to change. For the better. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment